Thursday, August 10, 2006

Blindfold Me

Mr. & Mrs. Jones cordially invite you to a mistake . . . Blindfold Me.

Kelis is doing her yelling type quasi-singing thing again that seems to have recently been picked up by the likes of Beyonce, Gwen Stefani, a 2006 Nelly Furtado, and London Bridge's Fergie.

The beat is a cheap Timbaland rip-off. You could argue it will sound good enough in a club setting to be sweat-inducing, but that's a plea copped at any decibel level.

Subject-wise, with its sexual fetishism, Blindfold Me is a bastard child of N.E.R.D.'s Truth Or Dare, featuring Kelis, and a twin to the last Nas and Kelis collaboration, In Public.

Nas, on key, is back with an assured delivery and some freaky tales. He spits a decent double, a few internal rhymes, and a couple good pieces of verbal imagery, but pay attention to his last lines, "gonna surprise you like Hugh Grant in 8 1/2 Weeks." Uh, Hugh Grant was in a movie called Nine Months, and one called Two Weeks Notice. Mickey Rourke was in a movie called 9 1/2 Weeks, and I think that's the intended reference. However, neither actor, to my knowledge nor to imdb.com's, have ever been in a movie known as 8 1/2 weeks. Maybe the blindfold was still on at Blockbuster.

[NAS]
The last thing you get
Is a blindfold and a cigarette
You willing to bet
Like an ocean cruise, mommy
I'm so addictive
How long I've been stroking you
Gives you motion sickness
Grant your wishes
I leave you four senses:
Smelling, feeling, tasting, and hearing
One minute I'm gone - next, I'm reappearing
The bed is the Bentley, I'm doing the steering
I got your eyes in a veil
Let your hands fall over my tattoos
Like you're reading in Braille
Like my wine with a spicy aftertaste
Though you're fine, I like to cover up half your face
And you're blind and can't see, what I'm 'bout to do
Suspense so intense, won't allow you to move
Gonna surprise you like Hugh Grant in 8 1/2 Weeks
Kelis and Nasty

Kelis f/ Nas: Blindfold Me

11 Comments:

Blogger Fletch said...

Also, according to ultimatekelis.com, this will be the second single' to Kelis upcoming Kelis Was Here. (Songs pushed for commercial play featuring two high-profile musicians who happen to be dating / married always scream gimmick to me.)

Album comes out on the 22nd.

August 10, 2006 6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, any word on Nas' album that is supposed to come out Sept. 11???

August 10, 2006 7:04 PM  
Blogger Fletch said...

It was Sept. 19th, and I think the next news we should hear is that it's not coming out on that day . .. but will that really be news to anyone?

August 10, 2006 7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Horrible

August 10, 2006 8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This song is a fucking monstrosity, probably the worst 'RnB' like collabo I've heard from Nas. I know Kelis is his wife but he's gotta draw the line somewhere when it comes to dropping a wack verse on a wack joint.

August 11, 2006 2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad.

August 11, 2006 6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The way ya”ll tlk I thought the song was hot garbage. But only to hear a decent song which Nas added a bit of flavour to, this is goin to bang in the clubs for sure. Only thing I will agree with is the beat is a bit cheap (in a corny way) but if I wanted to listen to beats I listen to a DJ 45th Instrumental tape.

August 11, 2006 7:59 AM  
Blogger Fletch said...

Yeah, I think "monstrosity" may be overstating it just a bit. In Public is a true "monstrosity", this just isn't very good (1.5-2/5). The beat is generic gone wrong, but I guess it serves its purposes. I really don't like how Kelis sings on 90% of her singles. It sounds almost like she's forty minutes into a live performance. Nas, except for the errant movie reference, does alright. His rap is pretty mundane subject-wise and almost stereotypical conceptually (I know blindfold songs are not the norm but it's not a surprising verse), however, at least his flow is on point, "I'm doing the steering."

August 11, 2006 8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

simply pathetic

August 11, 2006 11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg, you guys are fuckin insane! Kelis is a mad chick, her music is dope, and her new album is the shiz! Blindfold me is a sick track, and will go off in clubs!

August 20, 2006 4:20 PM  
Blogger Fletch said...

The video debuted on BET last night. Not bad; "blindfold" concept at least was executed well.

Also, they (?) edited out Nas' "Hugh Grant" reference. So . . .

September 07, 2006 11:02 AM  

<< Home