Saturday, October 28, 2006

Why You Hate The Game

Since the dialup head can hardly stay bipartisan these days, any rapper that has beef with another rapper is typically going to cause "fans" to sway their support dramatically to one side or another. Take The Game for example. He's feuded with perennial New York underdog Joe Budden, The Bay's own Yukmouth, ROC underlings like Memphis Bleek and the Young Gunz, G-Unit and extended family, and even more recently with Ras Kass. Because of this, plus his rather fast multi-platinum rise to fame, he's become an ever increasing target of fickleness and loathing. Throw in the fact that his lyrics, admittedly, have a tendency to read like a Hip-Hop roll sheet, and there's even more inspiration for hate. However, if anything, that namedropping says to me, although in an incessant sort of way, that The Game is a fan of Hip-Hop, something that's more endearing than another rapper commenting, "I only listen to Coldplay."

The Game's respect for the legends of the genre has been clear since day one. From outright refuting that he would ever diss someone with Jay-Z's résumé to acknowledging the often-ignored likes of Eazy-E and Ice Cube, Game knows who came before him and what they meant. Because of this, it is fitting that one of the most anticipated songs from his highly anticipated new album, Doctor's Advocate, does indeed feature a certifiable legend, Nas. And they're even doing it old school style, like back when extra-long tracks were the norm. Just Blaze on the beat.

[NAS]
The streets made me Illmatic
For that, I'm still at it

Felon -- Vice behind me on the intersection
Sex and drugs, my anthology on perfection
Dress superb, admired by conspirers
Who wanna try me but ain't high enough
To 4-5 me up
Child of the 80's
Y'all niggas is lazy
Complain about labor pains
Nigga, show me the baby
And my nigga Game, light another L, pass the bottle
Pro-black, I don't pick cotton out of Aspirin bottle
Yeah, I learnt my lessons and heard y'all snitching
Witnessing you rocking with Narcs confirmed my suspicion
Green fatigues on, my niggas I bleed for 'em
I could show 'em the water but can't make 'em drink it
And I could show them my fortunes by can't force 'em to think rich
And still I don't abort 'em when and if they sink quick
Ignore the ignorance, I rep the brilliance of Queensbridge
And pray the Feds let Murder Inc live

The Game f/ Nas & Marsha of Floetry: Why You Hate The Game

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

fuck yea... been waiting on this for a minute...

October 28, 2006 12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

game's verses were weak.nas just above average.anyway im definately downloading game's album next week.a blank cd doesnt really cost that much.

October 28, 2006 2:41 PM  
Blogger Fletch said...

Sorry, Renato, I want to keep this post specifically about The Game / Nas track. Also, I think posting a snippet is a bit too "speculative" for now. Email me if you got any other questions.

Here's me reading too much into Nas' verse (aka killing time at work):

If intentional or not, there's a couple consistent themes / transitions Nas uses:

The G-Men connection: Vice, Narcs, Feds
Numbers transition: To 4-5 me up / Child of the 80's
Liquid Liquid: pass the bottle / I bleed for 'em / show 'em the water but can't make 'em drink it / when and if they sink quick

Also, about the "Complain about labor pains / Nigga, show me the baby" line, you all take that as him just firing back at the "Fuck Nas Coalition", guys like Lake, who are still complaining that they're not getting their work in? Or about Meth and any other disgruntled Def Jam artists?

October 28, 2006 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This year's "We Major". Dope verses, dope beat, but 4 minutes too long.

October 28, 2006 4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn Nas, You Killin em

Glad Just Blaze didnt use one of his big band productions like the new Jigga songs
This beat carries the song well and serves Nas' verse well but I still don't like Game name-droppin

October 28, 2006 7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the joints of the year, although it could of done with another Nas verse.

October 29, 2006 3:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa ... I've had a chance 2 listen 2 the song a few times and that is exactly what it is ... A SONG. That's some real pretty music and vocals on that track. Personally I was mesmerized by Martha's voice and background vocals. I think more than anybody Just_Blaze did his thing on this one. In my humble opinion NAS's verse was o.k. Thus far his verse on Busta's "Don't Get Carried Away" is still the one by which I judge other verses I hear by him that he provides on collabo joints. Still and all though it'll do. I enjoyed Games name-dropping which shows how much of a student of hip-hop he is. I truly appreciate that about dude and I loved the phrase where he said: "Now the ball's in my court Never dribble out of bounds with it. Behind the back 2 NAS he alley-ooped 2 Jigga ... Ni**a'". This makes me wanna hear the NAS-GAME collabo on HHID that much more but 4 right now this is probably one of my favorite NAS collabos ever. Like GAME THEORY said ... SOULFUL man ... just plain old SOULFUL.

October 29, 2006 4:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The track is nice. It's soulful. Just Blaze did a great beat for The Game. Marsha killed the hook. She has great voice. Nas's verse was okay. He could have come with something better. The Game verse was better suprisingly. But anyway, it's a great collabo.

October 29, 2006 6:25 AM  
Blogger Fletch said...

the sample (c/o the-breaks.com)

The Main Ingredient
"With You"
Ready For Love
RCA Victor, 1980

November 10, 2006 5:21 PM  

<< Home