Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The N

The rush of new music isn't even taking Halloween off. Because it's produced by Nas' go-to-man Salaam Remi and is leaking as the 19th of December slowly creeps up, you'd figure this was an album cut in the making. However, given the feel of the hook especially, plus the fact the outro ad-libs don't sound all that LP-ready, this could merely be a mixtape / DJ song. Maybe not.

[NAS]
It's the late night, Greasy Spoon patron
Poolhall making - big bets
Midsection got the 8 in
Dior, Christian pimping
Got that penal system diction
Riffing, you don't wanna be snitching
Spit a few at a traitor with that new AR
Try to kill me, I'm a leader, that's coup d'etat
Streetsweepers in that Coupe all black
Bitches want my chipped tooth back
Steel MAC so my kufi never gets smacked
Squeeze a fifth with a grip
As I dip from the paparazzi
Still playing numbers, you can't stop me
Still wearing bundles and spark weed
If I ever say, Queens, get 'em, you know they got me
Success, scandal, bone deep personal beef
So lead by example or get trampled
Since Hip-Hop Is Dead, this is the N
Congratulations in order 'cause we did it again

Don't hate me now, congratulate me now
I'm still getting it and don't even love the dough
Don't hate me now, congratulate me now
I'm still ripping, and I don't even love the hoes
Still getting it and don't even love the dough
Still gripping it, you know that I tug the fo'
Stay splifted 'cause you know that I love the dro

The style is taboo, the chain's offensive
Brain on airplanes, Gucci frames are vintage
The two-TEC don in Yukon's and Benzes
Chicks who suck other chicks tits like infants
Apprentice but not Trump
I'm the nigga with glocks and pumps
That you don't see much, sucka free from chumps
Homes with cobblestones in front of 'em
Got guns in cummerbunds, so understand you under son
Don't make me have you running from a hundred guns
Don't make me grab your only son, I'm coming from
A place Tanqueray and weed's the only escape
From phonies who hate when you rolling with papes
That's why the god party with Juicy models
They mob me, Denali, Charlie Luciano - hardly
Have to tell y'all, I kill y'all
For spitting songs that involve me, nigga
Original verbal assassin, have to carve me a nigga

Nas: The N

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The beat remind me of a more hard-hitting version of the 'Nazareth Savage' beat. But I prefer nas spitting over these sparse beats with more space for him to weave his words.

Nas' flow in this song is similar to his verse's on the Busta and Diddy albums. Its more bragadocio from Nas and he brings some memorable lines too. "Success, scandal, bone deep personal bee/So lead by your example or get trampled"

October 31, 2006 10:06 PM  
Blogger Renato Pagnani said...

No, this is definitely a Hip-Hop Is Dead cut: it's the song that Fader mentioned in their preview of the album a week or two ago. They mentioned the song's "'We Will Rock You'-sized drums and stadium anthem strings" courtesy of Salaam Remi.

I like this song, but would really love to hear a better quality version (same with "Hip-Hop Is Dead").

Renny

October 31, 2006 10:19 PM  
Blogger Fletch said...

Renato, I thought of that, but while the beat matches the description FADER gave, they also wrote, "Nas lists everyone who he's not psyched on, and it's not pretty. Nas would like to send a big 'Fuck You' to the following people, in no particular order: niggas, bitches, snitches, niggas, crackas, judges, losers, cowards, etc." So unless we're missing a third verse, which is quite possible . . . I don't know.

They still need to work on the hook regardless.

October 31, 2006 10:28 PM  
Blogger Renato Pagnani said...

Yeah, I realize that. It's very possible there's a third verse missing as the adlibs at the song's end are surely added in, considering this song appears on Salaam's MySpace page.

And even so, Nas kind of mentions those targets you named above, but really only implicitly and in passing. Lines like "...you don't wanna be snitching / Spit a few at a traitor with that new AR," "Bitches want my chipped tooth back," "That you don't see much, sucka free from chumps" and "From phonies who hate when you rolling with papes" all certainly fit that scope of subjects Fader says Nas talks about. Plus, writers often take liberties when describing a song for descriptive sakes, so I guess we won't know for sure until the album leaks.

Also, I have a good idea for a guest article for you, man. I know you've mentioned it before, and I'm too lazy to backtrack through ten months of posts, but have you done a post on "I Want It" yet? I think there are some good things left to talk about on that song and surrounding it's recording.

October 31, 2006 10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say. This suffers from really mediocre beat. Salaam is hit or miss.

November 01, 2006 4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason this song just doesn't touch me. It seems like it was forced a little too much. Especially on that chorus you can tell Nas was thinking too much. Hip Hop Is Dead had a lot more inspiration and you could tell came with much more ease. I hope that Fletch is right, that this is a mixtape song or something.

I agree though with the reviewers of this song from the magazines that said it had like a Gladiator type stadium feel. I can feel that. But the song doesn't come together, or at least in my mind it doesn't.

I love Nas, and I want this album to come out well. And I think it will, but I hope he has the right inspiration and doesn't continue to force music.

November 01, 2006 9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like what Salaam Remi did this time, it doesn't sound good for me. I hope it's not on the album too. Nas verse is ok.

November 01, 2006 10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this song is nice, it has a real big, I'm coming hard feel to it, that hip hop is dead lacked. Good song.

November 01, 2006 12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The beat is different and simple. Gives NaS a chance to spit his lyrics hard. I like the track, but to me its an intro or fade out track. I could see it sizing up on the album as that.

November 01, 2006 1:14 PM  
Blogger Fletch said...

Although this does not clarify if the song will or will not make the final album cut, I was able to contact the author of the FADER piece (Will Welch) who let me know that the Salaam Remi track he heard and the one that just leaked are not the same, "It's a different song. He literally says, 'fuck you bitches, fuck you niggas, fuck you crackas...' That's the hook. I was just jotting down notes, so none of this is exact, but the song I was talking about literally chants lyrics that are along those lines."

November 01, 2006 2:20 PM  
Blogger Renato Pagnani said...

There we go! So this is not that song mentioned in Fader. I think that the track Fader heard is "New York Stomp". This song will probably make the album too, I'm guessing. Still, I'm not going to pass (much) judgement on this or "Hip-Hop Is Dead" until I get higher quality, non-censored versions. With that said, I do think "The N" will still probably end up on Hip-Hop Is Dead.

November 01, 2006 3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What else did the guy from FADER say? Could you determine if the beat was the same?

November 02, 2006 4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The N.. Sounds like it might be an Intro, outro or interlude of sorts. I dont think its an "official track" in the sense that its meant to be an album cut, I think it makes the album but in a capacity as stated above.

November 02, 2006 7:18 PM  
Blogger Fletch said...

Again, this still isn't as official as having the actual album in your hands, but Nas was on Power 105 w/ DJ Clue, 11/09, where he told Clue "The N" was probably NOT gonna make the final cut. Said it'll more than likely be a soundtrack contribution if anything.

November 09, 2006 6:06 PM  

<< Home