Sunday, December 17, 2006

Blunt Ashes

Produced by Chris Webber.

[NAS]
The making of a mad band
Intricate stories of DeVante Swing
Ava Gardner, the crashing of James Dean
Bobby Brown influenced by Rick James and ???
Prince wanted Alexander O'Neal to be Morris Day or Jerome
But Alex was putting coke in his nose, nigga whylin'
Could be a myth but I swear that the source was close, Phyllis Hyman
Killer herself, it was crazy
Mommy was bad they say
Donny Hathaway freefall from a balcony

As the blunt ash falls into the ash tray
I could see my whole life fly past me
Did I keep it gangsta or keep it classy?
And will the money and fame out last me?
The blunt's ash falls down in the ash tray
Will I see my whole life fly past me?
I'm asking did I keep it gangsta or keep it classy?
Did I . . . anything else you know, just wanna ask me?

Sam trusted Womack with his main lady
He tossing in the grave, like, "this is how you repay me?
A Change Gonna Come, wish you didn't trust me so much"
Marvin said no mountain's high enough, fly stuff
David Ruffin was punching Tammy Terrell, gave her concussions
While the Funk Brothers was laying down the percussion
When Flo from the Surpremes died, Diana Ross cried
Many people said that she was laughing inside

As the blunt ash falls into the ash tray
I could see my whole life fly past me
Did I keep it gangsta or keep it classy?
And will the money and fame out last me?
The blunt's ash falls down in the ash tray
Will I see my whole life fly past me?
I'm asking did I keep it gangsta or keep it classy?
Did I . . . anything else you know, just wanna ask me?

John F. Kennedy's enemies dealt with treachery
It interests me, Judy Campbell in Gucci sandals
She's what a temptress be
The death of Ennis Cosby, what a mystery
Or the Chicagoan Harold Washington
Someone is sabotaging them
Watch out for the traps
Larry Troutman killed his brother Roger Troutman
Then he killed himself, that's the end of Zapp
And I wouldn't change a thing, mistakes of the greats
This is what came from their pain
From their hurt we gain
An unfair exchange

Nas: Blunt Ashes

8 Comments:

Blogger Fletch said...

So, none of us were expecting Chris Webber to produce a song on HHID, and probably not too many of us were expecting it to sound like this. Immediately, the beat on Blunt Ashes is a lot more sparse than I would have imagined. However, as the power forward then adds some canned horns and stale melodrama, it's not something you need to necessarily hear more of. Nas' delivery is something different but not something worth revisiting either. That's the how. As to the what, it's a laudable concept that doesn't seem to have been given enough time to develop. In a way, it's almost the R&B-themed version of Where Are They Now, but three undersized verses and comparatively poorer production undercut any potential. The opening ad-libs are probably the most compelling part of the track.

December 17, 2006 4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im kinda surprised what u said cuz in the threads I read, most people are feelin this one. I wasn't at first, but they convinced me to really listen to it. It reminds me a lot of blaze a 50--the beat didn't seem to match the feelin I got from the lyrics at first, but just I relaxed, felt it. and its tite. it's kind of trippy.

December 17, 2006 9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

didnt like it at first but after a few listens it grew on me...its just out there and a change of pace from the rest of the album...not too many rappers take chances like this man.

December 18, 2006 12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please roll up one burn it and sit there and listen to this joint. Definetely need on this album. Chris did his thing. On a good system you can really appreciate the production.

December 18, 2006 11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fletch fletch fletch you dissapoint me kidd this may favorite track on the album

December 18, 2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger Fletch said...

I've actually heard the "smoke something to this" excuse for this one before, but really, though I never smoked in my life, I've listened to plenty of Quik or Devin material, for instance, and never felt like I needed anything but the music to make it sound good. That being said here are my qualms with the track: 1)The comparison of Webber doing an Eminem styled joint is apt: it's melodramatic, machine-like, and has rather weak drums 2)The hook is poorly constructed, from the "horns" to Nas' actual words (when they mess with it a little on the outro, it sounds improved) 3)Three short verses really don't allow for the song to develop 4)Nas' delivery is especially "off" to me in that third verse. . . . Coulda been something, but didn't have enough in the right directon.

December 19, 2006 12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn fletch this song at first i was not feeling but it is one of my favorite cuts you really have to know the names to get into the song it is basically a rise and fall of some famous people. but I feel it was excuted well that david ruffin tammi terrell line made me think about the temptations movie overall great track

December 19, 2006 11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anit ya'll suppose to be hip hop heads.......personal I love this song...........as for Nas flow it is ment to be like tat.........he was biting 2pac and his drunk/high flow he use to do sometime and tat tied into this song............ya'll need to take your time and understand a song before u start yappin like bitches.........same thing with Who killed it.........

December 31, 2006 3:59 AM  

<< Home