Sunday, December 17, 2006

You Can't Kill Me

Produced by L.E.S. & Alvin West.

[NAS]
It was just cool like
Smooth night with my jewels bright
Goons left, goons right
Coupe with blue lights
Bad girls and black pearls
Gave us cat calls
Took 'em back to the crib to break they ass off
In the loft, mixing hash and dro
Honey spreaded that asshole
Like a wide-mouth bass
Sipping wine out the glass
Teddy Pendergrass blast
When the phone ring
The house lights flash
Turn down the sound
Let's get down to business
Shit about to go down with some foul niggas
What the voice said, "what up bop?"
Who want it, I put the guap up
Get the boy popped
He said, "son, stop
It's dude you feeding who feeding
Other dudes, but they really not eating"
"Dog, why you calling me?
This our food . . . you handle the mouths that it trickles down to
Niggas want beef, I want some of that cow too
But I'm in my princely robe, simply rich
Don't bother me with silly shit, call Rico"
He said, "it is Rico" . . . of all people
Gave his moms furs, called up the mayor
To get his crime pardoned, his son's godfather
Said that nigga shot up my cars
Last night he laid for me to come out my doors

Niggas always on that bullshit
To make a nigga wanna open up a full clip
Niggas always on that bullshit
Now your funeral, the preacher's at the pulpit

High, fly, Cinderfella loafer glass
Fold up cash, you ain't heard the soldier's half
You speaking hogwash, silly shit, balderdash
I got the lye sparked, Phillies lit, smoker's jacket on
The son of a Capricorn, my dad's a don
What you think that he spawned, a slacker? Nah
Packed the nines, yo this nigga's asinine
Smack ya mom, relaxed and calm, then mack ya mom
In a casket, you'll get ya fashion on
You'll be in a suit and tie, you'll die
You'll make maggots turn to flies, fucking with Nas
Remember anyone can get it at anytime
Lames'll swear by your name when they lie
Get hit with the lone star, ripped where ya bones are
So tell me how yo' ass gon' run from a CZ-PO1?
In the midst of real steel moves, you a loser
Murk you, with your own shooters
All you want is a name, pissed and insane
My security system, my place by the fireplace, listen
Then it going off, start spitting
Niggas try to bring it where I live in
Trusted you, knew where all of the cribs at
So we waited with the SIGs . . . blat, blat, blat!

Nas: You Can't Kill Me

15 Comments:

Blogger Fletch said...

And just as quickly as we were making good time, the second track throws us off course. Although my original sources said Salaam Remi was behind this one, the HHID liner notes credit L.E.S. & Alvin West - as if they needed two people behind this mess. It's not the middle-finger, rebel rouser that its title first suggests; instead, the beat has a real sonic-ass disco feel. Plus, the hook is sloppy, proof that a double rhyme is still worthless if the delivery is amateurish. There are a couple redeeming lines, from the opening descriptions to some later threats, but the story Nas tells is a little too convoluted and ultimately goes nowhere.

December 17, 2006 4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard nas say at least one time in the last year or so that Biggie was ahead of his time. But they are very different rappers and so when nas tries to do his violence threats, it doesn't sound as real. that's just me. i just have a feeling here that nas was aiming at perfecting a biggie-like, "shoot'em up" (god, i hate that song) image, an overblown, over-thugged out gangsta. And I hate that chorus.

December 17, 2006 9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i must admit...this song wuz weak...weakest song on the album by far...wateva happened to White Man's Paper...dyin to hear that song

December 18, 2006 12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the song sounds like it is straight off of "it was written" so I like it for that reason, although not one of the highlights of the record.

December 18, 2006 7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get the hate that this song gets. of course, I don't get the love that Where Y'all At gets either. but for the record, there are people out there who dig this song.

I think people automatically started hating it when they thought remi produced it and it sort of spiraled out of control.

December 18, 2006 7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weak as fuck! Another example of poor beat selection. He shines lyrically on certain verses within the track, but the beat makes me want to skip to the next track.

December 18, 2006 8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's not braveheart party bad, or zone out bad, or makings of a perfect bitch bad, or me and you bad, or big girl bad. you get my point.

December 18, 2006 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first verse has a very IWW feel to it (suspect etc) as someone said.

But as Fletch said the story doesn't go anywhere.

I'm pretty sure whats going on here is not a story rap for its own sake but a running metaphor for the Death Of Hip Hop.

The word 'Bullshit' in the chorus immdediately brings you right back to 'Money Over Bullshit'. And 'Pulpit' has obvious relevance....I haven't looked at it too deeply but I think there's probably a pretty nice extended metaphor at play here.

The beat is slightly wack I agree, not a great track overall.

December 18, 2006 3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think people automatically started hating it when they thought remi produced it and it sort of spiraled out of control.
^^^^^^^^
bullshit i love remi this shit is just weak

December 18, 2006 4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This Shit Is Trash POINT BLANK!
The Beat Is Sup par His Flow Is On Target But The Lyrically I DONT BUY IT ..im not saying Mr. Jones Is not A thug..I just Dont believe It. You Suppose to atleast come across relateable or believeable or insight ful he does none...he makes no connection with the Audience (in My opinion) The Story He is Trying to Sell Us..Jus Bores ..And He Disrepected Bigg on the Hook to..he Was Better on ...Shootem up" Favor For A Favor ..Got Yourself Ect. 1/5

December 18, 2006 7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

booo next song

December 18, 2006 9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great track
'you aint heard the soldier's half'
first verse is the don, second verse is the soldier
first verse is fiction/narrative, second verse is battle rhymes
it's not supposed to be a story like Undying Love
-damaja

December 19, 2006 1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kinda like the beat (I guess I'm in the minority on that). its still the only skip-worthy track on the album though.

December 19, 2006 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The beat is alright, it's just that damn synth-like thing that pops up from time to time. Reminds me of "Favour For A Favour" with that ridiculous sound at the beginning that sounded like a apecial effect from a crappy space movie.

December 20, 2006 11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

High, fly. Cinderfella loafer glass.

December 23, 2006 12:48 AM  

<< Home